I have joined fellow professors and college administrators across Eastern Ontario for a four day conference at the lovely Elmhirst Resort up towards Peterborough.
It’s a real treat to be here. I’d will find time to do more in depth posts, but in the meantime, here are the highlights of our formal discussion so far:
- Outcome-Based Education (OBE) – Challenges and Benefits
- Credential ing Framework in Ontario
- Curriculum Development and Evaluation (Mapping)
- Vocational Learning Outcomes
- Essential Employability Skills
- Course Outlines and Perfirmance-Based Course Learning Outcomes
- Authentic & Aligned Assessment
- Credential Validation
- Quality Control and Audits
Informally, there are sidebar discussions on pedagogy-andragogy issues, academic freedom, student readiness, summative and formative assessment strategies, mental health concerns among students, growth-fixed mindsets and student achievement, faculty coaching, program development, transfer credits and student pathways, and a host of other great topics.
This afternoon, there are some concurrent sessions running on Universal Design of or Learning, Hybrid and Online Teaching, new Program Development, and Employability Skills.
All of this, ultimately, will be taken back to our respective colleges where, I am sure, the conversation on ensuring quality and consistency in standards across the province will continue. I’m thrilled to be part of it.